Saturday, January 28, 2006

Busy

K, so Sarah's been in town for the past week, and she's going into the MTC on wednesday, so I've been spending as much time as possible with her. And when I'm not with her, I'm pretty much trying to make sure I don't fall behind on homework. So I've been pretty busy for a while.


So we went to Bestbuy today to give the geek squad her laptop. It's been shutting down randomly, and when she got it about 2 1/2 years ago, she got the 3 year service plan, so they're supposed to fix it for free. Well we brought it up to them, and this geek looks at it and says it's probably just an overheating problem. The way to fix it would be to blow out the dust, and that's not covered in the service plan. He'd do it though, for $20. Or, we could buy a can of air and do it ourselves. So while he's saying this, I just stood there staring at him. I was like, "so, you want me to go buy a can of air and that will make it so the machine can run for more than 5 minutes without shutting down?" (the really dumb thing is taht the shutting down is totally random. It can be on for 2 days and not shut down, or it can be on for 15 minutes and shut down.) He said, "yeah and this is where you should blow it in." and pointed to the two vents on the bottom of the laptop. I just stood there staring at him. Erik's been trying to fix it for a few days now, and he's tried reformating and system restore, but it won't even make it all the way through a format without shutting down. So after a few minutes of the geek trying to tell me that it was just dust, he said"we could run a diagnostic for you, though" and I was like, "yeah, duh. Why do you think I brought it in to you?" ok, I didn't say that, but I seriously think he thought I was completely computer illeterate.


Anyway, while we were there, I saw the cutest little USB drive. It was so tiny, and it's a gig. So, I got it. It was only $55 (after rebate of $20) and it's so cute! I put the blue cover on. So I'm in love.


Then, I came home and Erik & I looked on ebay for a laptop for one of my friends. We called her (she is so cute) and told her what we found. She was hoping to spend around $500, and said she didn't need anything fancy, so we looked and found some decent machines for around 500, but nothing really impressive. We did find one for $640 that was a really good little machine. It's an averatec, the same one I have now (the 3700 maybe?) except it's got an 80 gig hd and a DVD burner. So when I told her that we found that one, she decided she wanted it even though it was a little more than she was planning on. Since she doesn't have a paypal account or an ebay account, I told her we could get it for her and she's gonna give us the cash, then we can put it on our credit card. No harm, right? Well... I was a dummy, and instead of choosing the credit card, I chose the bank account... which doesn't have $640 in it... The thing is... (well the thing I'm hoping is) that erik gets paid on monday, and the paypal thing will go through on monday... so I'm *hoping* that there wont be any problems. And then with the cash she gives us on tuesday, we'll be able to replace what was taken out. oi. I felt like such a dummy.


In other news, I'm having a farewell party (get together, very informal) for Sarah on Tuesday from 6-8:30 or 9. Anyone who wants to come, feel free. It'll be fun, with some food, and whatever... games... who knows.


K, homework time....

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, the thing with the bank account and paypal really sucks. I was suprised when they said they cant stop or reverse the charge :( Oh well, I guess everything will be alright

    ReplyDelete
  2. The laptop. . . do you think it was the power supply??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know... but it's all covered under the Bestbuy service plan thing, so when they do the diagnostic, hopefully they'll realize I'm not just making it up. It really is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh sounds like it. I bet it's the power supply went out. But it could be the board too - let me know how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You drive a hard bargain with the geeks...

    ReplyDelete